Differences Between Plastic and Glass Centrifuge Tube
When it comes to centrifuge tubes, the most common ones are plastic and glass, and there are also a few steel centrifuge tubes. So what is the difference between these centrifuge tubes made of different materials? If you also want to know the answer, then we will introduce the differences between plastic centrifuge tubes and glass centrifuge tubes.
Glass Centrifuge Tube
- Glass centrifuge tubes are made of glass, and different manufacturers may use glass with different components, so there may be slight differences in strength. Ordinary glass tubes can withstand relative centrifugal force (RCF) below 3000g, and borosilicate glass tubes can withstand centrifugal acceleration (RCF) above 10000g.
- However, due to the fragile quality of glass centrifuge tubes, glass tubes are generally not used in high-speed centrifuges and are not used much.
- Due to the characteristics of glass itself, it has good chemical stability and can coexist peacefully with acids, alkalis and organic solvents.
- The glass tube is stable in shape and can withstand a certain degree of extrusion, but it is not resistant to collisions and is fragile during transportation.
- It is resistant to high temperatures and can resist thermal shock, but it can also break easily in environments with sudden and severe temperature changes.
- The high transparency of the glass centrifuge tube allows people to clearly observe the properties and changes of the samples inside through the tube wall.
Plastic Centrifuge Tube
- Generally, good-quality plastic centrifuge tubes are made of biological grade PP as raw materials. The PP material has high transparency, which can ensure that the sample and centrifugal sedimentation results are clearly visible.
- Plastic centrifuge tubes that meet the production standards generally do not contain any heavy metals, metal ions, DNA, RNA enzymes, and pyrogens, and will be sterilized by gamma ray radiation.
- Plastic centrifuge tubes can withstand temperature range: -80°C-121°C, can withstand high temperature and high pressure sterilization; can also withstand storage at ultra-low temperatures such as -86°C.
- The plastic centrifuge tube can meet the needs of high-speed centrifugation and can withstand high-speed centrifugal force of 12000×g
- It generally has a volume scale mark, with high accuracy and small error.
- Due to its own characteristics, plastics have the characteristics of low hardness, and can be sampled by puncture method. But also because of this, it is easily distorted and deformed by extrusion, etc., has poor corrosion resistance to organic solvents, and has a short service life.
- The production technology of plastic centrifuge tubes is mature, the workmanship is exquisite, and the sizes that can be produced are relatively diverse and the price is cheap.
- Generally, large-scale laboratory plastic centrifuge tubes will be disposable, but there are also many laboratories that will be recycled. In essence, it is not recommended to recycle. If you want to recycle, you can use pp centrifuge tubes, because it is a plastic material. Relatively high-quality raw materials.
Plastic VS.Glass Centrifuge Tube
- Most glass centrifuge tubes have excellent chemical resistance and are more resistant to chemical attack. It has better chemical resistance than plastics, low extractables, and does not affect the sample too much.
- The material properties of the common glass in the market, especially the brittleness, limit the application of high-speed glass tubes, and are generally not used in ultra-high-speed centrifuges.
- Plastic can be squeezed and deformed, but it can’t be broken. Glass is not easy to be squeezed and deformed, but it is easy to be broken.
- Glass material is easier to clean, and it is very convenient to reuse after washing. Plastic bottles are not highly reusable and easy to consume
- Glass can withstand higher temperatures better than plastic, but plastic is more durable and less expensive.
- Plastic is available in many sizes, and glass tubes are rarely produced as microcentrifuge tubes.
At present, there is no one material that can meet all the centrifuge experimental requirements. Different materials have their own advantages and disadvantages. You can consider according to the cost, experimental requirements and centrifuge conditions. If you need to buy Plastic Centrifuge Tubes, Hawach has just right new manufacture high quality products available. You can take a look at the products of your potential long-term partners and start our cooperation!